The Solarcan is a fascinating product that sits at a unique junction between photography, astronomy and art. Each Solarcan is a self-contained and pre-loaded solargraphy camera which means it can be used to take long-exposure photographs of the sun.
And by long exposure, we mean looooooong exposure!
Weeks if not months, as each day brings a new sun trail to layer onto the contained photography paper. Check out the sample images for examples of what the community has already created, and find out how easy they are to use with the instructions and video below!
What is a Solarcan?
How do I use my Solarcan?
Experimentation and creativity are highly encouraged. However for consistent results we would recommend the following process:
- Buy your Solarcan from this very product page :-) Or if you want to get a bulk discount and experiment with several exposures then grab the 5-pack!
- Find a suitable location facing the Sun with a good view of the sky and horizon
- If any doubt, seek permission from local authorities/land-owners for the installation (remember this is a silver metallic can that will be in place for several weeks!)
- Using the supplied cable ties, secure your Solarcan firmly to an appropriate sturdy fence/pole/pipe
- When you’re ready, carefully remove the black label covering the pinhole and let the magic begin
- Place the black label on the end of your Solarcan for safe keeping and mark a date in your calendar for retrieval
- Remember where you put it (!) and check in on your camera once in a while
- When ready to recover your Solarcan, head back and cover the pinhole using the black tab you saved to end the exposure and stop any unwanted light passing through
- Snip the cable ties to release your Solarcan from it's mooring and take everything back home with you
- Open your Solarcan in subdued light and marvel at your image!
No chemical developing is required. We encourage experimentation though - so if you do try to fix/stop then please share your results with Solarcan and us on social media!
|Type:||Negative (no processing needed)|
|Pack size:||1 or 5|
About the brand
Solarcan is the brainchild of Sam Cornwell: a photography, artist, astronomer and now camera genius! The Solarcan perfectly combines his love for the night sky with his passion for analogue processes and film photography. Initially supported by a successful Kickstarter in 2017, Sam has recently produced the 5,000th unit (that we will be gifting as part of a joint giveaway!) which shows that the Solarcan has already been accepted into the heart of the photography community.
We spent some time with him in preparation for our launch of the Solarcan - as well as discussing his journey so far - and you can read the resulting interview here.
Where we ship
When you buy your camera and film from us we can ship it across the UK, Europe, USA, New Zealand, Australia and Canada (more countries planned soon!) So buy Solarcan today and dive back into the fun of solar film photography!
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
Huge fun - these make for a great little project. Get a handful, put them up in different places for a few months and get surprised by the results. Excellent!
I've bought a couple of these. You get everything you need in one cardboard tube... can, zip ties to fix the can and a small booklet with instructions/ideas. Find a vantage point, secure your tin, open up the pinhole and wait. And wait. Yeah maybe a bit longer. This is a product that rewards patience but opening up the can after a few months is incredibly satisfying. My second can blew away in a storm but I definitely plan to attempt a solstice to solstice shot next.
When I saw this concept I was instantly intrigued by the possibilities!
I love the simple nature of putting it anywhere for as long as you want to get a totally unique picture.
I only put mine up for a month so I'll certainly be getting some more to experiment with....even if it's hard to wait!
So, my first foray into Solar photography has proven a success...expect the unexpected with this Solarcan, the images are quite abstract at times and can be very striking. Go on...get one...you know you want to!! Steve.
So let me state first that i'm a huge fan of pinhole photography. The concept of capturing time within a single frame continues to fascinate me. So the idea that you can make a single photograph that captures upwards of a year is incredible to me.
Before Solarcan was a thing i was making my own cameras that would so the same thing but now everything you need comes in this handle product. It was a real faff doing it yourself, not to mention the amount of paper you had to buy from the off, and the fact that Solarcan now provides it all, ready set up and ready to go is great. The camera arrives in lovely packaging with a great instruction manual giving you all the details you could need and example photographs - and even comes with the zip ties to mount it somewhere!
Everything thought of and executed well and affordable. Give it a shot, but remember you'll be waiting a long time to see your results!
5 Star product for sure.