Solarcan - The "All-In-One" Solargraphy Film Camera
Our Price: £16.00 GBP100268
Solarcan is a fascinating product that sits at a unique junction between photography, astronomy and art. Each Solarcan is a self-contained and pre-loaded solargraphy camera which means it can be used to take long-exposure photographs of the sun. And by long exposure, we mean looooooong exposure! Weeks if not months, as each day brings a new sun trail to layer onto the contained photography paper. Check out the sample images for examples of what the community has already created, and find out how easy they are to use with the instructions and video below!
What is a Solarcan?
How do I use?
Experimentation and creativity are highly encouraged. However for consistent results we would recommend the following process:
- Buy your Solarcan from this very product page :-) Or if you want to get a bulk discount and experiment with several exposures then grab the 5-pack!
- Find a suitable location facing the Sun with a good view of the sky and horizon
- If any doubt, seek permission from local authorities/land-owners for the installation (remember this is a silver metallic can that will be in place for several weeks!)
- Using the supplied cable ties, secure your Solarcan firmly to an appropriate sturdy fence/pole/pipe
- When you’re ready, carefully remove the black label covering the pinhole and let the magic begin
- Place the black label on the end of your Solarcan for safe keeping and mark a date in your calendar for retrieval
- Remember where you put it (!) and check in on your camera once in a while
- When ready to recover your Solarcan, head back and cover the pinhole using the black tab you saved to end the exposure and stop any unwanted light passing through
- Snip the cable ties to release your Solarcan from it's mooring and take everything back home with you
- Open your Solarcan in subdued light and marvel at your image!
No chemical developing is required. We encourage experimentation though - so if you do try to fix/stop then please share your results with Solarcan and us on social media!
|Type:||Negative (no processing needed)|
|Pack size:||1 or 5|
About the brand
Solarcan is the brainchild of Sam Cornwell: a photography, artist, astronomer and now camera genius! The Solarcan perfectly combines his love for the night sky with his passion for analogue processes and film photography. Initially supported by a successful Kickstarter in 2017, Sam has recently produced the 5,000th unit (that we will be gifting as part of a joint giveaway!) which shows that the Solarcan has already been accepted into the heart of the photography community.
We spent some time with him in preparation for our launch of the Solarcan - as well as discussing his journey so far - and you can read the resulting interview here.
Where we ship
When you buy your camera and film from us we can ship it across the UK, Europe, USA, New Zealand, Australia and Canada (more countries planned soon!) So buy Solarcan today and dive back into the fun of solar film photography!
really cute and fun tool for tracking light trails and gives some cool results! I left this one out for 6 months in my garden, my neighbors decided to put a cannopy up a few weeks after i installed it so i only have half an image haha, but still very cool! Just ordered a new one which i want to leave somewhere for a whole year.
Quite honestly I love this solarcan. It’s well packaged with very clear instructions. I left my first one out for six months in my west facing garden. Once the exposure was complete I followed the instructions and got an amazing image. I have bought another one and is currently outside taking another six month exposure. I’m at the moment planning to buy some more to try out some ideas I have. I recommend this camera
I bought two Solarcans for my grandchildren, who have mounted them in strategic positions in their gardens, we hope! I'll report our results in a year or so!
This looks like an excellent product which will hopefully give great results. Easy to set up, time will tell how good the results will be.
Great quality product, packaged well, and promptly delivered. I bought three as a birthday present for my Dad who was made up. He found the instructions easy to follow and set them up immediately. I will say it was a little expensive for me - I have made these cameras before so it felt a bit wrenching to pay £18 for each one. They look really professional though and obviously you get all the instructions and guidance along with them. My Dad really wanted to try them after he saw mine and I couldn't be with him on his birthday so he definitely deserves it :D It also feels good to support an independent business, especially right now.